Reposted from the European Platform Against Wind Turbines
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 10, 2012
Abuse of power against anti-windfarm movement
Chris Huhne on the hot seat
Legal Advisor to the European Platform Against Windfarms (EPAW), George Watson is being investigated by the UK government under special powers which are only to apply to criminal/terrorist activities, claims the Platform. A letter, reproduced below, has been sent to Chris Huhne, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, denouncing this improper use of the legislation, and announcing legal proceedings against the UK government. A formal complaint has been made to the Metropolitan Police.
According to EPAW, Mr Watson was also harassed by a police officer who visited his home in a Scottish rural area … on Christmas Eve!
Mark Duchamp, Executive Director of EPAW, declared that he was respectfully asking UK government Ministers if they intend to investigate and harass other members of the public who oppose the destruction of the British landscape, the killing of protected bird and bat species, and the deterioration of the health of wind farm neighbours. Mr Watson’s only crime, he said, was to have found legal flaws in the way the UK government’s energy policy is being applied.
EPAW claims that wind farms are ineffective, immensely expensive, and destroy jobs in the rest of the economy (1); that they are also seriously harming human health, resulting in home abandonment, or worse (2); and finally that they are killing protected wildlife into extinction (3). In the circumstances, concludes Duchamp, the 514 associations from 23 countries represented by EPAW would like to know why their members deserve to be investigated and harassed by the authorities, using special powers reserved for criminals and terrorists.
George Watson’s letter is appended.
(1) – “EU governments did not do their homework on wind energy. It now appears that wind farms may have no benefits at all.”
(2) – Harming human health: Explicit Cautionary Notice from the Waubra Foundation:
– Home abandonment —> http://www.epaw.org/multimedia.php?lang=en&article=ns28
– In addition to noise, inaudible noise can make people seriously ill: The Infrasound Smoking Gun
(3) – Wind farms causing the extinction of the Golden Eagle in the US:
– Causing the extinction of the Tasmanian Wedge-tailed Eagle: http://www.iberica2000.org/Es/Articulo.asp?Id=4382